Did you know that your skin’s pH levels control how oily or dry your skin is? Most people don’t know that and end up buying products and trying treatments that are not meant for their skin, which can end up causing more harm than good. This is why it’s so important to know your skin’s pH level. Once you know it, you can find a method that will help balance your pH.
What is pH?
pH is a figure that is used to describe how acidic or how alkaline something is. The pH scale ranges from 0 – 14 with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most alkaline. The neutral pH is 7. Anything less than 7 is considered acidic and anything higher than 7 is considered alkaline. Even though the neutral pH level is 7, that does not apply to your skin.
The skin’s healthy pH balance is slightly acidic and should be anywhere between 5.5 – 6.8. Now that you know this, you’re most likely asking yourself, “what’s my pH level?” We might not be able to tell you your exact pH level but we can help you understand what side of the scale you’re on.
If you’re someone who suffers from oily skin or acne-prone skin then, you most likely have a skin type that has a high pH level and is considered alkaline. On the other hand, if you suffer from dry skin, patches, and irritation, then you most likely have a lower pH level. If you’re not sure where you are on the scale and would like to know, then you can try an at-home pH test strip or speak to a dermatologist.
How to Balance Your pH Levels
Once you know what pH you have, the goal should be to balance it out. In order to balance out your skin’s pH, you need to find the right products for your skin type. Here are some of the products that we recommend.
Products for Acne Skin types
- Get Clean Face and Body Cleanser: Micro-exfoliating cleanser with 2% salicylic acid at low Ph or enhanced dead cell removal. Unclogs pores, treats and prevents acne, and improves luminosity and pigmentation. Suitable for face and body.
- pH Balance Micro Peel Pads: Micro peel with glycolic acid at low pH (3.5), hydrating peptides, and botanical extracts. Smoothes, firms, help clear acne and improve pore appearance.
- Green Tea Primer: Concentrated antioxidant mattifying serum with 5% green tea extract to calm acne, even skin tone and lessen the redness.
Products for Dry Skin Types
- Gentle Cleanser: This cleanser and makeup remover is gentle enough for face and eyelid skin and features marine algin that can absorb tiny pollution particles up to 30 times smaller than our pores before they penetrate. Infused with moisturizing marine peptides, chamomile, and ginger root essential oils. Safe for sensitive, rosacea, and post-procedure skin.
- Jojo Scrub: Exfoliating body scrub with papaya extract, jojoba beads, spearmint essential oil, and Vitamins A and E. Smoothens skin bumps and reduces the occurrence of breakouts. Excellent for keratosis pilaris.
- My Hero Hyaluronic Serum: Firming serum instantly quenches skin with hydrating AcquaCell, snow mushroom extract, and hyaluronic acid. Delivers intense 24-hour moisture plus 360◦ antioxidant protection from visible signs of aging caused by environmental and digital pollution, UV radiation, and screen-emitted High Energy Visible Light (HEV).